Be courageous.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Let's get serious.

So not doing so good on keeping up with the blog, I apologize. I think I have been avoiding it because part of the point of this blog is to talk about some really crazy theories or beliefs but I may be a bit afraid to post them. May be a little long today because of my efforts to try to make this as unbiased as possible.

So...I have a friend who is 100%, no argument, a Pro-life believer. Against the opinions of others as well as personal threats against her life, she had a beautiful baby girl and she is an absolute joy to be around. A few months ago, I went to a pro-life vigil with her during "40 days for life." During the season of lent, pro-life groups and individuals peacefully stand outside planned parenthoods and other abortion clinics and simply pray for those entering the clinic.

The event coordinators gave out copies of pregnancy resources to the women entering the clinic as well as the first chapter of "Unplanned" a book written by an ex-executive director of a Planned Parenthood. Keep in mind, I am merely an observer in this whole event because I am too scared to say or do anything, for or against abortion. So as an observer, I stood there and read the excerpt. Once again, it is difficult to write about these subjects because I do not want to be biased and give out my opinion, but whatever your opinion on abortion, read this if you get the chance.

Now I also have friends who would think all of this is just plain crazy and a woman should have the right to choose. So I decided to play devil's advocate with my pro-life friend (who has done some extensive research on this) and ask her some questions such as...

Me: What if a woman was raped and conceived?
Friend: When a woman is raped, something personal is taken away from them in that event and they can't ever get it back. It may be self esteem, loss of emotions, etc. They may think that having the abortion may help them get it back, but after the abortion is successful they then begin to feel as if the rape is happening all over again and once again, something is taken from them that they can't get back.

Me: What about those that say I don't want to give him/her up for adoption just for the child to grow up living in multiple foster homes?
Friend: Adoption agencies will allow you to choose a family to give your child to. A family that will provide the best care for your child. There are also all types of adoptions: open, closed, or maybe something in between.

Me: What if the woman is risking her own life because she chose to have a baby against the wishes of the father/ family?
Friend: There are so many pregnancy resources available for women in danger for their lives. These centers can provide safe housing, food, medical needs, etc.

Whether or not these answers are justified in the eyes of the people reading this blog, I am so blessed to have such strong and caring friends, both pro-life and pro-choice. They all have had different life experiences that have brought them to their decisions and they are every bit entitled to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment