Be courageous.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reduce the use!

I have a friend who hates his job. More specifically, hates the machines who make his job needlessly difficult. What does he do you ask? He works in a mass production factory that produces canned meat. He is only doing this job for the summer to make money for college but I highly doubt he will going back, regardless of how much they are willing to pay him.


The thing he hates most about it is the inefficiency of mass production and how much the company wastes everyday, which is a contributing factor to why food prices are so high. There is no work incentive to do a good job because the line is so huge that that he does not see the end product nor will he get credit or blame for the finished product. So why should he care how much he throws away if the company is still going to charge their high prices for cheap products?

I apologize for this turning into a "debby downer" sort of blog but I feel this kind of topic needs to be shared because of how much not only big companies, but we as Americans waste products everyday. I try my darndest to take my recyclable bags to the grocery story and I'm proud to say my apartment complex has a recycling program, but I know it is still not enough.

Another friend of mine told me about a grocery store in Texas that recently opened and is changing the face of grocery shopping. Every shopper that comes into the store brings their own food storage containers because the food coming into the store is not sold in pre-packaged portions. That way you can take how much you need instead of wasting what you don't want. This bright idea also decreases the price of their food because consumers are not paying for the high price of packaging. Hopefull it catches on!

No comments:

Post a Comment